Organization Name: BRP Development, Citi Community Capital
Project Title: Caton Flats
Project Location: Flatbush, Brooklyn
Caton Flats is a mixed-use development located in the Flatbush section of Brooklyn. The site was awarded to the development team by the New York City Economic Development Corporation in 2015 to be developed as the new home for the Flatbush Caton Market; the Flatbush headquarters for the Caribbean American Chamber of Commerce and Industry (CACCI); a new business incubator; and new affordable housing. Those uses include: • 225,000 square feet of highly amenitized affordable residential housing • 11,000 square feet of retail • 16,000 square feet of market and incubator space • 5,000 square feet of CACCI headquarters space • 19,000 square feet of parking All of the 255 apartments will be affordable, with rent- and income-restrictions targeting them for families and individuals who are between 40% to 130% of AMI. Construction started earlier this year and is expected to be completed in 2021. The entire development will be LEED certified and comply with Enterprise Green Communities guidelines.
• There will be community and senior outreach sessions to explain the housing lottery process for the 255 quality affordable rental apartments.
• The development has been committed to hiring local residents for the construction and permanent employment opportunities conducting outreach sessions for job-seekers and contractors.
• Caton Flats will expand and renovate Flatbush Caton Market and provide space for a new business incubator to foster local small businesses.
• Caton Flats is committed to sustainability and resiliency measures in building design, including LEED certification.
• The development will incorporate a plaza that will enhance the streetscape and provide outdoor space for pedestrians to enjoy.
Dr. Roy A. Hastick, President and CEO of CACCI remarked, “The redevelopment of the Flatbush Caton Market is a critical step in strengthening Brooklyn’s Caribbean small business community. The creation of CACCI’s Caribbean Trade Center within the new development will provide a permanent home for CACCI’s programs, which promote small business opportunity and trade relationships for New York City’s Caribbean community.”
BRP Companies is a New York City-based real estate firm that is at the forefront of affordable, mixed-income, and market-rate housing and commercial developments. They have an experienced staff of over 50, a track record of over 2.5 million SF in completed real estate projects and over 9.5 million SF currently in development. The firm is an innovator in developing mixed-use, mixed-income, “walkable” urban housing with high-quality, energy-efficient infill properties throughout the city of New York and beyond.
Citi Community Capital, HDC, HPD, NYC Economic Development Corporation (EDC), Caribbean-American Chamber of Commerce and Industry (CACCI), Magnusson Architecture and Planning, Urbane Development.