The United for Housing campaign is developing housing recommendations for New York City’s next mayor and we want to hear from you. We know that the best decisions are made from the ground up and the next mayor needs to hear from people in the community.
Last week we hosted two public events – one in English and one in Spanish – getting input on housing recommendations. If you were unable to attend one of the events, there is still time to weigh in. You can watch the events (see links below) and you can fill out our survey in English here or in Spanish here.
At our events last week, we were honored to have inspirational introductory videos by Wes Moore, CEO of Robin Hood, and New York City Public Advocate Jumaane Williams reminding attendees why it is so important to participate and make your voice heard. Wes Moore said, “Let your story sink in and burn into the minds of everyone who is running for mayor who will be our next mayor and other members of the city council.” And Jumaane Williams said, “I’ve always said that it’s critical to do things with communities, not to them. And conversations like this are critical.”
Both events featured expert panels talking about the current housing challenges and possible solutions. Thank you to our panelists for the Spanish-language event:
- Bea De la Torre of Trinity Church Wall Street (Moderator)
- Raysa Rodriguez of Citizens’ Committee for Children
- Mirtha Santana of RiseBoro Community Partnership
- Rosalinda Gutierrez of Cypress Hills LDC
And thank you to our panelists for the English-language event:
- Bernell Grier of IMPACCT Brooklyn (Moderator)
- Stephanie Becker of Cypress Hills LDC
- Matthew Dunbar of Habitat for Humanity New York City
- Damaris Reyes of Good Old Lower East Side (GOLES)
- Giselle Routhier of Coalition for the Homeless.
Later this fall we will release a report with recommendations that were developed with our 80 partner organizations and input from the public.