Organization Name: Vecino Group
Project Title: Hudson Arthaus
Project Location: Troy, NY
A city without art has no color. Art, and the people who create it, brings undeniable vibrancy to America’s cities. The goal of Hudson Arthaus is simple: to encourage creative energy in Troy, New York. By creating an affordable housing development with art-focused amenities, the Vecino Group New York aims to give creativity a home address in Troy. 621 River Street—today, it’s where the artists live. In the biographies and art history books, it will be where their best work began.
Hudson Arthaus combines 80 affordable apartment units with art-focused amenities. From individual art studios, to a woodworking shop, to gallery space, to the rooftop deck ideal for artistic endeavors, Hudson Arthaus offers its residents a place to live and a place to create. The site itself was another creative opportunity; this blighted, historic structure had fallen victim to neglect. It was brought back to life thanks to the help of historic tax credits, municipal support from the City of Troy, tax-exempt bonds and HFA financing. This project could not have happened without an amazing team that included UW Marx Construction, First Sterling Syndicators, Chase Credit Enhancement, Buxton Kubik Dodd Creative Architects, 3T Architects, Cannon Heyman & Weiss and Spencer Fane, to name a few.
Hudson Arthaus will positively impact the community of Troy, New York in a variety of ways. Please consider the following—
• 80 units of affordable housing in a City with a void of affordable options
• An artist focused development complete with community creative resources and gallery space
• Historic rehabilitation of 118-year-old building and preservation of an architectural landmark
• Contribution to the revitalization of Troy’s Arts and Entertainment District
• Enhances and fosters cultural and artistic community
• Provide a permanent home for our non-profit partner, Collar Works. Collar Works is dedicated to supporting emerging and under-represented artists working in any media, exhibiting challenging and culturally relevant contemporary artworks.
The Vecino Group has developed over 2,000,000 square feet of projects totaling $200,000,000 in construction. Vecino Group believes in partnership. By working with established non-profits, community organizations, and municipalities, we’re able to create housing that goes beyond simply housing; it can also help solve problems. From accessible design for individuals with disabilities, to working to end veteran homelessness, we make sure that every project we touch meets our company gut check. In order to be a Vecino Group project, a development must address a broader community need, give back, set an example, and inspire everyone working on the project with a higher sense of purpose.