Organization Name: Bronx Pro Group
Project Location: 1017 Home Street Bronx, NY
- Transform an underutilized site into a vibrant affordable housing project for seniors living in the Foxhurst Neighborhood of the Bronx.
- Create a community facility space in partnership with the historic user of the site (the Presbyterian Church) which provides services for residents and community members.
- Partner with Services for the Underserved to provide supportive services to 30% of the units through the Empire State Supportive Housing Initiative (ESSHI).
- Construct a LEED Gold Certified project using light-gauge metal panels.
- Continue Bronx Pro’s mission to invest in Bronx Community Board 3 by providing quality affordable housing. This is the company’s 7th project in that catchment and its first senior housing project.
The proposed project is located at 1017 Home Street in the Foxhurst section of The Bronx, NY. The property consists of a 9,421-square foot development site currently occupied by a dilapidated, two-story church. The proposed development will transform 1017 Home Street into an 8 story senior housing project with 63 units of housing and 3,113 square feet of first floor community facility space. The unit mix includes a two-bedroom superintendent’s unit, twenty-two studios and forty one-bedroom units which will be rented to Seniors aged 62 and over with incomes up to 60% of the area median income. Thirty percent of the units will be reserved for homeless seniors with services provided by Services for the UnderServed. The project was financed through the New York City Senior Affordable Rental Apartments (SARA) Program, 9% Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) equity and a bank loan. Services for supportive housing units funded by a New York State ESSHI award.
1017 Home Street fulfills New York’s commitment to build high tech, ecologically viable affordable housing that meets several community goals:
1. Transformation of a dilapidated, inactive church into modernized space: The project design meets the LEED Gold standard and includes many energy efficient features. The residential amenities include 3,113 sq. ft. of community facility space, a resident lounge, gym, bike room, roof terrace, tenant storage, social service offices and on-site laundry.
2. Empowerment of Seniors & Community At-large: The onsite Home Street Community Center is anticipated to feature programming that includes homeless outreach, U.S. citizenship classes, arts program for “senior artists”, dance and movement classes for youth, seniors and for the visually impaired, ESL and creative writing workshops, theatre arts workshops, and youth chorus and orchestra.
Bronx Pro is a neighborhood-based firm that employs professional and support staff in real estate development, construction, asset management, property management, and residential services. The company began as a property manager in 1988; ten years later it expanded its business activities to include the development of low and moderate-income housing. Beginning first with the rehabilitation of occupied, city-owned buildings, the company has since broadened its scope to include the development of new construction projects that contain both residential and commercial / community facility spaces. To date, Bronx Pro has developed more than $380 million in projects (2,000+ affordable units) through various City and State programs. Home Street is Bronx Pro’s first senior housing project and the site is less than a half mile from a 103-unit moderate income project developed and owned by Bronx Pro at 850 Jennings.